Mrs Tiff ....living creatively



Friday, May 14, 2010

~ Dining Cabinet Makeover ~



During the holidays I waved my magical white paintbrush wand over a few pieces of furniture to give them a fresh and much brighter look......







I gathered my favourite products which largely feature Porters Undercoat,
Oyster White Acrylic & All Purpose Sealer..... 


Then I set to work on a really dated, and I'll admit poorly made (inexpensive) dining cabinet.....




First I undercoated....





To prepare to paint I taped the glass on both sides and took off the brass knobs. I couldn't manage to take it outside so I did it in the dining room.... I lay down protection for the floor and it really wasn't bad, long as you vacume up after sanding straight away...plus my trusty B&D mouse sander has an attachment to the vacume on it. I gave it a light sand before I undercoated it too.





I let the undercoat dry and after another really light sand I applied a couple of coats of the Oyster White Acrylic, letting it dry in between.




When it was dry I gave the edges and corners a sand to give it an aged, slightly vintage look.
Finally I sealed it with Porters Clear Sealer.





I added new glass knobs, tiny ones for the draws and matching bigger ones for the cupboard doors.





MUCH better!!!!!!


Want to peek inside????????




Now my vintage glass has a happy, bright new home!




The perfect spot for (some of) my vintage vases & jars.....




I wish I could say it fitted ALL my jugs but I do have a few more stashed elsewhere....




All up, it took a day to do the undercoating & painting, leaving plenty of drying time, and the next morning to sand and seal.

In my opinion, it was time well spent!