Mrs Tiff ....living creatively



Friday, May 20, 2011

~ Union Jack Mixed Media Canvas ~


I needed a little something
for the wall in my new bedroom....






and I had a canvas in the garage,
and a current infatuation for
the iconic Union Jack design....
so putting all that together along with a big
dose of love for the gorgeous shabby
Union Jack images on the net....
This is what I did......


I prepared the canvas, by giving it an undercoat,
(because it was green from another project!)
then painted it with a mix of
French blue and modelling
compound medium for painting.
I spread it on thickly and let it dry.
Next I painted the surface randomly with
my favourite Porters Oyster white acrylic.
After it dried it looked weathered
and cracked, as you can see.







Then I tore calico into 10cm strips.
The edges stayed frayed and shabby...
just how I like them!

I used a lace that I found at
a charity shop for the
vertical & horizontal stripes.






I tore 2cm strips a of a floral fabric for the diagonals.
Then I sewed these to my calico stripes,
but you could easily glue them
on instead, in the next step, if you don't sew,
or couldn't be bothered to!






After that I just  glued them
onto my prepared canvas!
SO EASY!






I wasn't precious about the glue,
I just smeared it on!






I loved the contrast of the
shabby canvas and the fabric!







I wanted to make it a bit more personal....
so I dug out my machine embroidery foot and
dusted off an old skill....
and proceeded to embroider a heart,
monogrammed with Mr Tiff and myself's
first initial. Then I cut out the heart
and fringed around the edges.








This is a close up....
(You could easily use a
heart doily instead.)







I felt a little bit of bling couldn't hurt
so I topped the heart off with a
charity shop clip on earing!!!!






So I added the embroidered heart
to the canvas.....






with modge podge...







and then it looked like this:







I was very excited when I finally
hung it in my bedroom!







It looks perfect in the space
above the bed!







I could tell that Mr Tiff
was not that thrilled with it
as he saw it coming together....






But after I had hung it,
he came around!






I also want to show you
my new timber floors,
they are so lovely.





They are a European white washed oak,
and absolutely make the space.... 

My bedroom is my favourite room,
it feels like an airy loft room,
especially with the balcony doors open,
it is peaceful and tranquil,
wth muted colours and natural textures....






the light reflects beautifully
in all the mirrors...






Mr Tiff brings me a cup of tea
up every morning in a pretty china cup.
I sip it in bed or as I am
getting ready for school.

I count my blessings every day.
I know how lucky I am.


I hope you are a bit
inspired by this project,
it was so easy,
and the result is wonderful!
I have already done some mini
versions to give as gifts!


Happy Weekend!

XXXXX



Today I am linking to:

at  French Country Cottage,
&
at Freckled Laundry.